Friday 24 February 2012

Been Shopping?

Before we get to the interesting bits, I have to tell you a little background first.

I live in Southern Arizona.  Tucson, to be exact.  And our local school district has a very strange schedule of holidays and breaks.  First, the kids go back to school in the middle of August.  When I was in school, we didn't start until early September.  They have no autumn break, either.  We always got a long weekend, usually Wednesday through the following Monday off from school.  They do, however, get two solid weeks off over Christmas and New Year's, so that's nice.

Then they have another long weekend for Rodeo Days.  Yes, you read that right.  My children usually get a three-day school week during the second to last weekend of February to celebrate a rodeo, of all things.  This usually plays havoc with my own school schedule, requiring me to take time off to stay home with them so they don't kill each other or burn the house down.  And let's not even get into Spring Break.  I have a week in March.  They have three days in April.  How is that good, people?!?

Anyway, since the rodeo holiday is this week, I thought it'd be kinda nice to go on a little shopping excursion to our local charity shop.  Sometimes, there are some amazing finds; most times, however, I find myself horrified by people's taste in clothing and home decor.  This morning, however, I scored a minor motherlode.  (Would that be a daughterlode?)  A fantastic book of 50 different afghans and the vast majority of them are for crocheting!  The book was published in 1989 and it's by McCall's.  I also bought 4 skeins of yarn and an afghan to cannibalise for its yarn.



After our shopping trip, we came home and replanted Boy Child's bean seedling in a larger pot with a trellis so it can climb.  We both have high hopes for this little plant, as green beans are one of Boy Child's favourite vegetables.

Rowan, the green bean

I also cleaned and organised my computer desk area in my studio and thought I'd post some photos.  I know I always enjoy seeing other people's creative spaces!

My desk with my aurora borealis screen saver running.

All artwork and origami figures courtesy my kids.
 Next to my desk is a large dresser filled with scraps of fabric and cast off clothing that I intend to turn into strips and crochet into rag rugs...eventually.  For now, though, the dresser's sole purpose is to hold my art supplies.

Yes, that is a hand-drawn portrait of Sting...
and a stuffed penguin, called Pittsburgh.

Jar jackets, an unfinished pen and coloured pencil drawing,
and a bamboo cup with Chinese kanji that reads
"Follow your bliss".

No comments:

Post a Comment