Thursday 16 February 2012

Cleaning Out The Stash

I save yarn like there's no tomorrow.  It doesn't matter how much is left over when I've finished, I make a little ball out of it and chuck it in the yarn basket, hoping that I'll have use for it sometime in the future.  This weekend after school and errands and writing, I was digging through the stash and trying to figure out uses for some of the larger amounts.  I came upon an idea Monday morning in the shower after my bath pouf from The Body Shop fell apart in my hands.  I'd make bath mitts!  There was no way I'd spend upwards of $9 on a new pouf when I could spend an hour and whip one up by hand.  So that's what I did.  I made three of them, in fact, seriously cutting down on my stash and making room for new lovely yarn...which will no doubt add to the stash.  Sigh.  It's a vicious cycle, isn't it?

Baby mitt, Mama mitt, Daddy mitt

If you'd like to make your own bath mitts, here's what I did:

Using whatever washable, durable yarn you have (I used Red Heart's Super Saver in Frosty Green, Pale Yellow, and Country Blue) and an appropriately sized hook (I used a 5.00 mm), chain either 16 or 18, depending upon how wide your hand is.  Then, starting from the second ch from your hook, sc into each chain for row one.  For row two, turn and ch 1, then sc across.  Repeat row two until your piece is about 30 rows long.  When you're done with your last row, don't fasten off.  Fold your work in half so the top and the bottom meet, then sc up the side, ending at the very top.  Now you can fasten off and sc up the other side so you've made a little pocket.  When you reach the top of the second side, ch 11.  Then, starting with the second ch from your hook, sc into each ch (10 sc), fold it in half and attach it to the top of the piece to make the little hanging hookie thing.  Fasten off and weave in your ends.  Ta-da!  Your very own bath mitt!

Little Hanging Hookie Things

Maybe you could match your mitts to your bathroom's decor?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a Scottish connection. I was born in Edinburgh, although I now live in Arizona. I've never known any other Fionas personally, although they certainly do crop up quite a bit in the crafty blogosphere!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ~ The "Other" Fi :D

      Delete