Monday 30 January 2012

Monday Morning Mish-Mash

Hope you all had a fantabulous weekend.  I sure did--I got lots of crocheting done, made a special trip to the post office to get B's baby blanket and Melissa's bag in the post, and went to Michael's to pick up some yarn and drool over all the (expensive) natural fibres and gorgeous colours.  I have quite a few works in progress, but at least two of them will be done within the next two or three days, provided I can find the time to get them out of the way.

Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I decided to make gifts for the kids in my life.  As you might recall, Girl Child and her cousin Wally are receiving these fabulous little containers in which they can put their hair doo-dads, jewelry, Barbie doll shoes, whatever.  Well, I couldn't leave Boy Child, Wally's brother, Badger, or the newest cousin, Cecil, out, now could I?

So, I decided that I would make Boy Child and Badger amigurimi aliens.  I finished Badger's yesterday evening but haven't started on Boy Child's yet.  I discovered in piecing the alien together that my stitching (non-crochet stitching, that is...you know, with a needle and thread?) is really sub-par.  I suppose it's a good thing that I enjoy crocheting and not needlepoint or cross-stich.  I'm afraid I'd be horrible at it!
Badger's Alien, made with Sugar n' Cream 100% cotton yarn.


Cecil's Valentine's Day gift from her Auntie Fi is a teddy bear.  I have developed an addiction to making amigurumi.  They're so much easier than I ever thought they could be and at some point in the future, I'll be making myself a sea otter and a fox.

Cecil's bear's nose

And finally, I used up a bunch of left-over yarn bits to make some granny squares.  I have no idea what to do with them, since I only had enough yarn to make four of them.  Perhaps I'll get a big square of fabric to back a pillow and then use these as the front?

Maggie's Square
Blushing Grannie
Circle of Friends
Standard Fare Granny Square

In case any of you Eagle Eyes spotted the copious amounts of cat hair on my backdrop, this is the reason:
My studio is often invaded by one of the furry kids, in this case it's Fat Cat, our flame-point Siamese.

No comments:

Post a Comment