Wednesday 25 January 2012

Baby Afghan - no, it's not a puppy

After making an afghan the normal way, I decided to give granny squares a chance.  I soon discovered that I much prefer them.  You can work on a little piece at a time and not have to cover your entire lap with your work, and there's no fighting with the entire piece when it's time to turn and start a new row.  The only downside is joining them.  There's a few different ways to do this, of course--rows of single crochets, which ends up making your afghan look like a mullioned glass window; and ladder stitching between squares and joining as you make the squares, which hides the joins between pieces and is good for squares that have different colour schemes.  I didn't like any of these three ways, so I spent some time looking on Teh Intarwebs to see if there was yet another way to join 'em up.

Much to my delight, I found this tutorial on how to do flat braids to join granny squares.  It looks complicated at first, but after joining up just three squares, I quickly caught on and the work went fast.  I love the finished product and especially the unique touch.  I've never seen another afghan joined this way.

Here is an afghan I made for my friend B's new baby.  She--the baby, obviously--was born the morning after I finished the piece, so I'd like to thank B for waiting to give birth.  That was awfully thoughtful of you!  ;)  There's no pattern here; the granny squares are just your average granny square.  It's the joining technique that's really the star of the show.  I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in white and Watercolour.  I think the afghan looks like a spring-time flower garden with a white picket fence around it.


No comments:

Post a Comment