Monday 23 January 2012

Lellie, aka the Eight and A Half Hour Elephant

I first started to crochet back in late 2009/early 2010.  My youngest sister-in-law, A, got me hooked...literally.  She was pregnant at the time with her first child and was making a bunch of really darling afghans and sweaters and hats for her baby and I thought, "I want to do that, too!"  So I did.  In the first three or four months of my adventures in crochet, I made an afghan for A's daughter (it was made out of chunky wool in orange sherbet and cotton candy colours), a stocking cap and a scarf for Girl Child, and three trivets.

Then I quit crocheting.  I can't remember why now, but I didn't touch my yarn stash or my hooks for nearly 18 months.  Then, A got pregnant again, and three of my other friends had babies within a few months of each other.  Since I'm poor and couldn't afford shower gifts, I decided to whip out the crochet needles and yarn again and do 'em up some afghans, hats, and other stuff.

I got bit big time by the crocheting bug this time.  It's like an obsession now; I can't quit.  So far, in the three weeks since I've started hooking again, I've made a baby blanket, a hat, a bag, an amigurumi elephant, a darling little container cover, and have two more blankets and another container cover on the hooks waiting to be finished.
Here's the pattern for the amigurumi elephant.  I worked him with Vanna's Choice Denim Mist, which is a nice yarn to work with and gave Lellie a cool pattern.  His trunk is a little long, mostly because I didn't quite understand the instructions, and the stitching that holds his ears onto his head is a little...um...ugly, but Girl Child--for whom he was made--loves him, and really that's all I can ask for, right?

Lellie behind and teeny-tiny tail!

Button eyes.  (Ignore the ugly stitching.)

Super-long trunk.  (Continue ignoring the ugly stitching.)

No comments:

Post a Comment