Friday 13 April 2012

Ultimate Blog Party 2012


Thanks to the oh-so fab ladies over at 5 Minutes For Mom (and Melissa of Lazy Daisy Crochet!), I've joined the party!  :D

Welcome to Hook N' Yarn Creations.  I'm your host, Fiona, a Scottish girl wandering the deserts of Southern Arizona since 2000.  I'm a mom of two (well, 6, if you count our four cats) and share my life with the most amazing man in the world.  I'm also a photojournalism student at the University of Arizona, a fiction writer working on editing the first book of a five-book series and writing the fifth book--at the same time!.  (Phew.  It gets confusing sometimes!)   In my spare time, which could honestly be more, I crochet, which is what this site is all about.

Girl Child and Boy Child, my resident Cheese Monkeys

My grandmother tried to teach me how to crochet when I was eight or nine years old and I had absolutely no interest in doing it.  I thought it was boring and only old ladies crocheted and knitted.  I'd much rather have been outside, playing tag or catching caterpillars and frogs or exploring the woods or the seaside.  I was a bit of a tom-boy, you see.

Fast forward some years (possibly 25, maybe only 10...in my dreams), and my sister-in-law is expecting her first baby.  She was always crocheting or knitting sweaters and hats and blankets for the baby.  Every time I saw her, she had a lap full of beautiful, soft yarn.  I was really surprised at how much crocheting had changed since I'd last seen it.  No more doilies or itchy, drab sweaters.  Nope, she was using cashmere, and merino wool, and incredible drapey acrylics in the most amazing colours.  So I asked her to teach me, found a book at Michael's (a craft store here in the states), watched some videos on YouTube (honestly, where were we before YouTube?) and poof!  I'm a crocheting madwoman now, who is constantly seeking new challenges and harder, more involved projects.

So that's me and this site.  Thanks for visiting and feel free to explore.  That list of tags over there is probably the best way to navigate around.  Just pick a tag and read some posts and maybe grab a button for your own blog.  Oh, and PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS!  I love comments.  It validates the time I put into blogging.  :D

And don't forget about my Free Yarn Giveaway!  Be sure to enter to win three skeins of cuddly-soft, creamy white yarn from Loops & Threads!

8 comments:

  1. Found you via UBP '12! My mom tried to teach me how to crochet when I was younger but I was never that into it. Now it's on my to-do list...maybe one day I'll be able to sit down and have her teach me. So glad your linking up to the party-I did it last year and it's a lot of fun!

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honestly quite surprised at not only how easy crocheting is, but how quickly I've taken to it. I think that if I can do it--and do it well--anyone can, too. So, you should give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised, just like I was.

      Delete
  2. I've read your comment over at Lazy Daisy Crochet (about the 4 followers) and that made me curious - well, here I am, your no.5 :) Keep on posting those beautiful pictures of yarn and your crochet and you'll reach the 100 very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the learning-to-crochet story! How fun. You have some great projects here. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fiona, I checked out your Pinterest board and am loving your style, I would love for you to join us on April 19th for Project Pinterest where everyone gets together and shares projects they make by pin inspirations! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona! I don't crochet, but I do knit. I started taking lessons almost 2 years ago. I really love it.

    Nice to meet another person who does yarn work!

    Tell Me A Yarn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there!
    I am visiting from UBP! I really think what you do is amazing! I wish I knew how to crochet but it is all so intimidating to me! I would love to learn! I blog over at http://garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ where I show everyone what they can do with all the things they find! I even see yarn sometimes! Ha! check it out when you get some time.

    ReplyDelete